The Australian Hotels Association NSW is a registered industrial organisation. The Australian Hotels Association (NSW Branch) is the New South Wales branch of the federally registered industrial organisation.
Both Australian Hotels Association NSW and the Australian Hotels Association (NSW Branch) (hereafter referred to as ‘the Associations’) are member-based organisations, which provide
membership and business services such as training, employment and industrial relations services, legal services, events and other general business products and services.
The purpose of this policy
The Associations are bound by the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth). The Associations are committed to complying with the Act and to the protection of personal information that the Associations hold.
- What personal information the Associations collect;
- How we collect and use the personal information we collect;
- Your right to access any of your own personal information held by the Associations;
- Your right to inspect and, where necessary, correct the personal information the we hold for
- Your right to have your privacy complaints investigated and resolved, and
- Your right to have your personal information protected from misuse and unauthorised access.
Scope of the Policy
This policy applies to all personal information collected by the Associations. It applies to information provided by members of the Associations, job applicants, associate members; independent
contractors and individuals.
What personal information do the Associations collect?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify a person no matter how it is collected or records. Personal information is collected by the Associations from a variety of sources, including when dealing with members, clients or customers, when dealing with individuals, undertaking marketing initiatives, internal administrative and election matters, when recruiting staff and when training individuals.
Where the Associations collect personal information from you this information may include (but not necessarily be limited to) your name, address, email address, telephone numbers, gender, financial information including credit card and banking information, and other means of personal identification.
How is personal information collected?
Where possible we collect your personal information directly from you. Your information may be collected by the following various means:
- Via an online form on our website (www.ahansw.com.au), or
- On our forms, or
- In our discussions with you,
If the information we are seeking is not information you wish to provide, please discuss your concerns with us.
In some circumstances, the Associations may obtain personal information from a third party. If you provide personal information about another person to the Associations, we require that you inform that person you have done so and provide them with a copy of this policy.
When dealing with membership, fulfilling your registrations to events or training, purchasing products or services, the Associations will collect at a minimum the following:
- Name of the contact person or people for the organisation;
- Business address and contact details;
- Nature of products or services being sought for the purposes of filling your order, and
- Payment details either credit card or invoice details.
We collect information by phone, in writing (either by email, fax or by letter), and electronically when you register for training, an event or purchase a product from us online. We will use this information to provide membership, products, training and services, and may also use this information for product development and marketing purposes.
When using our website we collect information from you by using a feature of your browser called a cookie to assign your computer a “User ID”. Cookies do not contain information by which the
Associations can identify you. They identify your computer to our servers. You may configure your browser so that you are notified before a cookie is downloaded. The Associations may use
information contained in cookies to make assumptions about the user of a computer.
When dealing with independent contractors, the Associations collect the minimum of the following
- Business address and contact details;
- Insurance details, and
- Rate and fees.
The Associations collect this information by phone and in writing (either by fax, email or letter). We use this information to ensure that independent contractors are able to perform work on behalf of the Associations in a safe and lawful manner.
When dealing with job applicants, the Associations collect the minimum of the following information:
- Address and contact details
- Occupation and occupational/career history
- Qualifications/ training courses completed
The Associations collect this information in the course of job interviews, telephone discussions, reference checks and in writing. This information is used to assess the suitability of applicants for a
position. In the event that the job application is rejected the Association may keep the information to use in the event that an appropriate vacancy arises. If you do not want us to keep this information, please inform us in writing, and the information will be destroyed.
How do we use the information you provide?
We will not use your personal information for any purpose that is not related to the primary purpose for which it is collected and for the other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purposed of collection. We will not use your personal information for any purposes for which you would not reasonably expect us to use your personal information.
Your personal information may be used for:
- The delivery of products and services that you have requested;
- Provision of further information about the products and services you requested;
- Personalise and customise your experiences with the Associations
- To enable the Associations to manage and handle its service provision
- In communications with you;
- For administration purposes, including charging, billing, collection of debts, and
- To promote and market other products and services of the Associations which we consider may be of interest to you, and
- For internal administrative and election matters.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate and upto-date. If your personal information is not accurate, or your details have changed, you can call us on (02) 9281 6922 to update your personal information.
What happens if you choose not to provide us with your personal information?
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. If you would like to access any of our services on an anonymous basis we will take all reasonable steps to comply with your request. However, if you choose not to provide us with your personal details, such as your name or address, the range of options available to you or the organisation that is a member of the Associations may be limited. For example, we may not be able to provide the full range of member services or allow you or your organisation to participate in elections, networking functions, training, events, or successfully deliver any products and services that you have purchased from us.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We guarantee that we will not sell your personal information to a third party.
For the purposes referred to in this policy, we may disclose your personal information to external
- Outsourced service providers who manage some of the services that we bring to you;
- Our professional advisors including our accountants, auditors and lawyers, and
- Related companies and entities, and
- To the Australian Electoral Commission for bona fide elections of office bearers and other
officials for the Associations.
How can you access your personal information?
Security of your information
We will take all reasonable steps to secure your personal information. Electronic information is protected by various security measures and access to information and databases is restricted by
password protection and physical security measures.
Destruction of personal information
In the event that you have opted to have your personal information not kept by the Associations, it will be destroyed. Electronic information will be removed from computer files kept by the Associations, and hard copy information will be shredded. All requests for the destruction of information must be made in writing to the Chief Executive Officer, accompanied with proof of identity, before the destruction of any documents or removal of computer files can take place.
Privacy and Data Consent
- You acknowledge that the AHA NSW requires access to current data in order to effectively represent, and advocate on behalf of the industry and therefore upon payment of the annual subscription fee, you consent to the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (or other applicable Government Agency) releasing the necessary gaming machine revenue, profit and tax information to AHA NSW for the purpose of compiling industry statistics and other internal purposes relevant to the provision of services to you by the AHA NSW.
If you have a complaint about any of our privacy practices, please contact our Chief Executive Officer, Mr. John Whelan, in writing. Complaints will be handled in accordance with the Australian Hotels Association NSW and the Australian Hotels Association (NSW Branch) Complaints Policy, which you may request a copy of from us at anytime during business hours.
Australian Hotels Association NSW and the Australian Hotels Association (NSW Branch)
Level 15 Hudson House
131 Macquarie Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9281 6922
Fax: (02) 9281 1857